Friday, November 9, 2007

Aqueous Humor?

I chose this blog name for a variety of reasons. First, the obvious. I'm an optometry student, and God willing, will be practicing by the summer of 2009. The aqueous humor is a watery substance produced and actively secreted inside the eye to provide nutrition to your cornea and crystalline lens. It ends up draining into your venous system. Normally it is "optically empty" and helps light form a clear image on your retina. In eye infections or injuries, it can become clouded with white blood cells, blood from hemorrhaging (called a "hyphema"), or proteins leaking out of blood vessels (called "flare"). The aqueous humor is also responsible for maintaining a (fairly) constant pressure inside your eye. Abnormalities in the production or drainage systems can cause too high of pressures--causing or aiding in the progression of certain types of glaucoma (a progressive destruction of neural retina), or too low of pressures--making your eye "squishy"(an official medical term, of course).

I tend to be dry, and I enjoy dry humor...so this title will hopefully encourage me to make things a little more "aqueous."

A third thing I thought of when coming up with a name has a spiritual application. If we let foreign (worldy) things come in like cells, flare, or blood, it can cloud our vision (judgement). We need a proper filtering system like tight junctions of the ciliary body (or the Holy Spirit and His covering) to keep us clean and clear. We must be constantly aware of what we allow ourselves to see and hear. Remember, "garbage in, garbage out."

Lastly, I thought of James 4:14. Heating up the aqueous would turn it into vapor, which is exactly what God calls our lives in this verse. Leonard Ravenhill has an excellent sermon based on this text, and can be found here .

That's aqueous humor as I see it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like it. And I love that you explain the whole eye system to describe Aqueous Humor.